I know I promised no more Nintex posts for a while, but this week, Nintex announced the availability of the first beta of Nintex Workflow for Project Server 2.0, the latest version of the popular Nintex Workflow for Project Server product and I just had to post!
Version 2.0 provides a number of enhancements to the existing product, including the following changes to the demand management components:
- Change Enterprise Project Type from within the workflow;
- New Publish project workflow action – Provides the ability to publish the project that the workflow is associated with, ensuring that project information is kept up to date in the Published Database;
- Query Project Server (also available in Site / List Workflows) – Provides a direct interface to PSI methods that query or read data from Project Server; and
- Update project properties (also available in Site / List Workflows) – Update project properties using site and list workflows.
If the ability to query the PSI from within the workflow wasn’t compelling enough, version 2.0 also boasts one other new feature, which I think will be a game changer, the ability to associate workflows to the Project Server Event Handler engine .
Through using these new Event Driven workflows it is now possible to create workflows and then associate them to the Event Handler engine within Project Server. Some of the uses that come to mind immediately including:
- Create a simple audit workflow that logs who published, edited or updated a schedule to a SharePoint audit list;
- Alerting the resource manager whenever one of their resources are added to a project schedule via a workflow task and alert;
- Synchronising a lookup table with an external system, or a SharePoint list when the list is updated or checked in; and
- Alert resource managers when new users are created in PS requiring an RBS to be assigned.
I have only had a couple of hours to play with the beta, but can already see some pretty compelling reasons and scenarios for use. Stay tuned for a couple of cool walk throughs in the coming weeks.
The Beta is available to all Nintex Partners.