In case you had missed the news, Microsoft have announced The Appies, a competition around creating an awesome app for SharePoint, Office 2013 or our favorites, Project Server, Project Online or the Project client (Jeremy had the scoop a few weeks ago and coined the Appies name which I think is pretty apt).
To qualify for the Appies, all you need to do is submit a new app or update an existing app between November 25th 2013 and January 31 2014 to be automatically entered.
So what can I win you may be asking?
Well, if you’re an app developer or vendor, the prize is pretty awesome, expanding the reach and promotion of your app by being:
- Featured in the App Village for all of the attendees to view.
- Featured in the Office Store.
- Part of a specific marketing app awareness campaign as part of SharePoint Conference 2014
- Featured in a video produced by Microsoft that will be presented to everyone in the Microsoft field
- Each app entered will be judged in six different categories, so there are plenty of chances of winning:
- Best User Interface
- Most Interesting Scenario
- Most Business Value
- Most Downloaded App
- Peoples Choice App
- Best International App
So what better way of spending some of that downtime around Christmas than by getting cracking on building an app and entering. To get you started, here are some useful links:
Building your first Project Server app – https://epmsource.com/2013-apps/
dev.office.com – Microsoft’s dedicated site for all Office app development
Apps for SharePoint – http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dn448479
Apps for Office – http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dn425028
Project Task Pane Apps – http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa905469